Maya Angelou "I Rise" poet has passed May 28 2014




An acclaimed American poet and autobiographer, Dr. Maya Angelou was Born on April 4th, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri. Angelou has had a world renowned career as a singer, dancer, actress, composer, and Hollywood's first female black director, but is most famous as a writer, editor, essayist, playwright, and poet. As a civil rights activist, Angelou worked for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X. She was also an educator and served as the Reynolds professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University.



Still I Rise 


You may write me down in history

With your bitter, twisted lies,

You may trod me in the very dirt

But still, like dust, I’ll rise.


Does my sassiness upset you?

Why are you beset with gloom?

‘Cause I walk like I’ve got oil wells

Pumping in my living room.


Just like moons and like suns,

With the certainty of tides,

Just like hopes springing high,

Still I’ll rise.


Did you want to see me broken?

Bowed head and lowered eyes?

Shoulders falling down like teardrops,

Weakened by my soulful cries.


Does my haughtiness offend you?

Don’t you take it awful hard

‘Cause I laugh like I got gold mines

Diggin’ in my own back yard.


You may shoot me with your words,

You may cut me with your eyes,

You may kill me with your hatefulness,

But still, like air, I’ll rise.


Does my sexiness upset you?

Does it come as a surprise

That I dance like I’ve got diamonds

At the meeting of my thighs?


Out of the huts of history’s shame

I rise

Up from a past that’s rooted in pain

I rise

I’m a black ocean, leaping and wide,

Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.


Leaving behind nights of terror and fear

I rise

Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear

I rise

Bringing the gifts my ancestors gave,

I am the dream and the hope of the slave.

I rise

I rise

I rise.


As a woman, black woman, Mother, employer, entrepreneur, I have been  subjected to some of the social laughs that have been brought my way giving rise to some of the societal issues that could leave one courageless. Issues that Maya Angelou would still say in one word remains to be required for a nation to heal simply the word "ignorance" this poem speaks volumes. 

It gives courage,  when listening to A  CBC video clip on the link below Maya Angelou stated that we need to have COURAGE. This word speaks to all of our inner selfs, to continue trying and never give up. This poem should be an Athem for many in need of feeling that all things are possible. This poem sends the authority of confidence. 


 “Does my sassiness upset you?” “Does my haughtiness offend you?” and “Does my sexiness offend you?” she asks. Theses phrases works to strike a knife  and break barriers that overcome sexism and the oppression of women in particular.  This is something that Maya Angelou overcame in her own life, and she speaks with such inspiring strength here.  


 “Does it come as a surprise/ That I dance/ Like I’ve got diamonds/ At the meeting of my thighs?” 


Thoses words give you  that feeling that Maya Angelou  loved herself.    I feel that way myself, when I look at my nah Sayers and non well wishers, especially when I've  accomplished a goal on my list. It's that feeling of shininig bright even when no one recognizes it. Rihanna sang it well "Shine Bright Like  A diamond". It's a feeling of confidence that all young girls should be taught to feel despite obstacles. 





Maya Angelou's death will never go without historical accounts of  her many quotes and many barriers that she has over come. 


I would challenge all women to remember today, that we are all able of being the women that we where meant  to be.  Forever paying  homage to this once voice less women;  I myself when discouraged about my role,  will remember that advocacy is modern day civil rights activism, which gives a  voice to thoses who other wise  are voiceless. I will continue to find courage in my rise to being a HealthCare Advocate. Thank You for your lessons.   RIP Maya Angelou 






And Still I Rise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqOqo50LSZ0&sns=tw via @youtube



http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/maya-angelou-poet-author-and-activist-dead-at-86-1.2656694



http://mayaangelou.com/bio/



The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them. (MA)


I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it. (MA)


#RipMayaAngelou




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waist Trainers What You Should know Knowledge Is Power

Bye Felicia ! A Guide to Removing Emotional Vampires out of Your life

The African Entertainment Awards 2015 NOMINATIONS NOW IN CAST YOUR VOTE

Have You Heard That Eating Kale Is Bad For You? Find Out More

Are You Asking The Right Health Care Questions?

Are You thinking of seeing a Naturopath or a Homeopath?